Friday 1 April 2016

The Purpose of Life by Nature


http://www.wallpapereast.com

The other day I came to think about the purpose in life again. A question that has been asked countless times by many million people around the globe.
I am one of them. I have asked myself that question several times in varies periods of my life. Depending on age the answer varies.

When I was young (in my late teens) I had already asked this question many times. I was in a dark period of my life, as probably many teenagers go through a similar state of mind. Hormones all over, mixing up strong emotions that many struggle with.

Who am I?
Where am I going?
What do I do with my life?

I felt I did not belong to this life.
For me it seemed clear from early on that I felt misplaced. That I accidentally had been placed on the wrong planet, or the wrong dimension. I felt I did not belong to this life. That my soul was trapped in this body but was meant to be elsewhere. Humans seemed absurd creatures that made up this hideous idea of life and created a civilization consisting of rules and laws. I felt so close to nature and believed that we just need to follow nature. We do not need 'Do-not-steal' rules and 'You-must-not-kill' laws. Just live your life with nature.

Now grown-ups call that naive or innocent. Yes and no. From the adult point of view yes, because those rules in civilization make total sense to them. And no, because those rules are only needed for overbred and penned up humans (which we are on this overpopulated planet) that are not allowed to be nature. What does a dog do when you lock it up over many years? The dog goes mad and becomes aggressive because it cannot be what nature tells it to be.

The pressure my social environment put on me, desperately trying to push me into this shape I did not want to fit got me depressed. You must go to school. You must achieve good marks. You must not fail. You must find a job. You must earn money. This whole approach of: you only live to work, pay off your debt and then you die: I hated it!! What a glorious prospect to spend your life! Not surprising that I did not know any suitable or sensible answer to my question: Why the f* am I here?  

I made it through puberty without too much psychological damage. A couple of my classmates were not so fortunate. My twenties were quite the opposite. With a huge personality change also came a different approach to life. So far probably the best decade of my life, again as most people would agree with that. I found my place in this world and actually came to love it. I went out and met many interesting characters and influential personalities that enlightened my darkened path. So with a bit of life experience during those years I got to my first answers. Or so I thought. Although I was sure of it, it did not feel right. And so the search continued.

Nature rules everything.

Back to the present. So the other day I thought about my life and realised that as always nature provides all the answers. If there is one rule than that: Nature rules everything. Nature decides when the sun is shining, when hurricanes destroy vast strips of land and nature decides when babies are born and when life vanishes.

So from that perspective: What is the purpose of life? What do humans have in common with all other living beings on this planet, including microorganisms, plants and animals? Fulfilling the circle of life for that life continues and this planet is NOT just a lump of minerals and clouds of gas. The purpose of life is reproduction. Making sure the next generation lives on.

The purpose of life is reproduction.

It is all about mixing genes and procreation. This answer shocked me. Especially or because I am not a sexual being. So what am I to do? That would mean I have and will fail miserably in my life duty.


And with that I am with everyone else out there, who either is naturally not a sexual being AND/OR is LGBT and has difficulties to reproduce. Ok, so that is one answer. Now what? Is there a 'second-priority' purpose in life? The so called 'plan B' for all those unnaturally weird ones out there?

Well, if you go with the Dalai Lama - He says "I believe that the purpose of life is to be happy." There you go.

http://www.dalailama.com


No comments:

Post a Comment